Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Knowing You, Jesus...

Knowing You
Graham Kendrick

All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain, I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this....

Singing this song in church made me reflect upon my changed values once I've known Him, and to marvel at the person that I am now that I am in Him. The things that I once run after, that would make the foundations, that I once chased after in life - that one love, wealth, ideal family, model and talented children, popular and sought-after friends - all these things were the things that I've hungered for and that I strive to obtain.

The world would probably look at me as a sad failure - an aging, single woman with no potentials hanging in the horizon or much wealth to boast about. And many years ago, as a person with worldly values, that would probably have been an anxiety, an obsession, the dark cloud hanging over my life. But as I remember the God who save me, the Friend who loved me and the Man who had wooed me and won my eternal soul, I have nothing but joy and thanksgiving for the:

- treasure that no eye has seen, and no ear has heard, and no mind has ever conceived
- inheritance that is everlasting and that will not pass even if man and his glory shall pass away
- joy He has set before me, when one day He will wipe the tears from my eyes of every wrong I have to endure and every persecution that was thrown my way.

I already have everything I need for life.

And that is why, I can sing with my whole heart:

Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You
There is no greater thing
You're my all, you're the best
You're my life my righteousness
And I love You Lord....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Disagree on a few points:

1. You're not seen as a sad failure from our POV

2. All of us are aging.

3. We also have little financial wealth, but lots of spiritual wealth :D

God bless!!

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Haha Hamham,

Thanks man. I also don't see myself as a sad failure - I'm just stating how the world may perceive me. :)

And yup, totally agree that we are far wealthier than probably we can ever imagine.