Friday, March 16, 2007

Obsessed with joy

Being bitten by the salsa-bug had me exhibiting symptoms of dreaming about salsa dance steps, listening to latin american music so that I may acclimatise to the clave rhythm and looking forward to the next time we head down to union square. I am ashamed to say that the addiction had been so bad I wasn't able to sleep at night wondering how I could keep my balance while executing my right turn and pondering if the constant weight on my right leg will cause even more spider veins to pop unattractively out under my skin.

The joy of salsa laid in its exuberance, spontaneity as the lead designed the dance off-the-cuff supported by the follow who read the unspoken cues to react accordingly and innate cheekiness and playfulness as the couple danced (or perhaps it is the cheekiness of the people I'm with. :p ) In the year of pondering about my decision to take up salsa, I had wondered if it is something that will displease Jesus or cause me to be ashamed when I come into His presence through prayer.

An implicit question was "Is something displeasing to God just because it is fun? Does He not like it because I am happy doing it?"

My personal opinion is that most of us fall into sin because the reward of indulgence seem so much greater than acknowledging His presence in our lives. (In truth, He is in our lives whether we acknowledge that or not!) Just doctoring the figures here or there can lead to accounting firms keeping their clients who are really the ones actually paying them; closing an eye and submitting to a superior's questionable demands can lead to a favourable appraisal and a higher salary for the next year; sleeping together before marriage leads to enjoyment and gratification here and now. Yes, there's a God, but He is only a discipline master who is eager to punish when we're having fun and who snoops in order to catch us doing wrong. We can only be right with Him when we do our duty with our most morose face, surviving and functioning under the strict boundaries, rules and regulations that He has set and trying to steal that little bit of fun to relieve the tedium in sin.

But this belies the Word which says, "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence." (Col 2:20-23)

If there is anything to be learned from the Apostle Paul, who was an ex-Pharisee (separated one - from all things) who became set apart FOR the gospel of God (Rm 1:1), it was this: That all our worship - that is the way that we live our lives - should be done with joy in Christ.

"...rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Rm 5:11)

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." (Rm 12:12)

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. " (Gal 5:22-23)

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" (Phil 4:4)

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thess 5:16-18)

Other books of the bible, notably Psalms in the OT and David's life example, also overflows with joy, awe and praise of God's glory.

When we became His children through belief in Christ Jesus, the doorway to God Himself (His presence in our lives, knowledge of Him) is open and that is the gospel (the good news!) The joy of really knowing God is so great Paul wrote, "I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ..." (Phil 3:8)

We can do this because it is only in the true Christ (not in His gifts of wealth, fellowship, talents etc) that we can have real, lasting joy. When we recognise Him (yes, He Himself) as (not source of) our Treasure and our very great Reward, the pleasure and power of sin diminishes. The created - money, popularity among friends (even Christian friends), fame (one expression of perverted glory in a sense) even salsa (in my case) - with all their potential of being used by Satan to becoming idols or temptations in our lives, simply become vehicles by which we enjoy some of His gifts in this life. If we have them, great and praise God! But if we don't, it is also well and good.

So I'm learning and dancing salsa because it is fun, it makes me happy and it gives me a great sense of satisfaction when I'm able to execute the technical intricacies of the dance (ok, it is intricate for a non-dancer like me. :D ) As with any other gift, there can be temptations and abuse into sin - my current obsession that I'm submitting by prayer and reminder of other priorities in my life, the dance's innate sensuality (some websites refer to it as a courtship dance,) the usual dangers that are associated with clubs and clubbing.

But I know that my ultimate obsession is with joy, pure joy. And I pray that I may desire Him and the natural result of that joy even more so that the things of this world can be enjoyed in their proper time and place for even more joy and life. May I always "delight myself in the Lord so that He will give me the desires of my heart." (Ps 37:4)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me traditional, but I can't help asking if salsa is such a sensual dance, with such close proximity between the male and female, wouldn't it be better reserved for couples? Especially in light of the Christian perspective? =) Just my 2 cents..

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Hi Anon,

Thanks for leaving your comment. Indeed, that was the same question I asked myself in the one year before taking this up.

This is a natural question given that the sin of lust (which I think your comment implies) has much more obvious implications (social or otherwise) than other sins, say the sin of lying or the sin of dishonouring our parents although all of them which are equally abhorrent in our Lord's sight.

I'm unsure if your opinion only lies with salsa specifically or partner dances in general. If it's with salsa only, my question would then be what is it about salsa as compared to other partner dances that makes it only suitable for couples? I can't help to then wonder if that could have come from an incomplete or incorrect understanding of salsa and all that it entails? If it's partner dancing in general, then I'd think it is up to the individual to make their choice with respects to their walk, their own personal circumstances and the people they are called to minister to.

I can only answer with respects to myself about this dance and my personal motivations for taking it up. For me personally, making the decision to take up salsa ultimately, is like making the decision whether to watch a particular movie or making a decision whether to buy a particular attractive clothing. I believe I'm taking that up with a clear conscience. If you would like to understand better my conscience possibly for the sake of correcting or rebuking a sister-in-christ (which I more than welcome), feel free to e-mail me to understand more.

However, our Lord has also said in the bible not to do anything that stumblest our brothers or sisters in christ. So if you feel that my entry written here can stumble people, do e-mail me to let me know along with your justifications (preferably with scriptural support). If it is urgent and important enough, I will remove this entry.

Anonymous said...

First of all, let me raise a clarification point: that my original question is not meant to judge nor to condemn anyone. I am simply not qualified to do that. =)

Next, since you have considered this matter of taking up salsa for some length of time and found that your conscience is clear in view of God and His Word, what more is there left to say? =) For I believe that the Holy Spirit will speak to you in this matter if this is something He would rather you not do, or if someone else is stumbled by this.

Personally, I find that this issue is similar to the question of eating food offered to idols as mentioned in 1 Cor 10:23-33. From this, verse 31 seems to sum it all: "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God".

Lastly, thanks for sharing your thoughts sister. I learn something from you today.

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Hi Anon,

The verse you mentioned was the verse I had recollected but could not retrieve. Thanks for quoting that.

I appreciate you leaving your comments and would be glad to receive further comments from you.

Be well in our Lord.