Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Concept of Trinity

A couple of people I've talked with seemed to be genuinely confused about the concept of trinity. I'm sorry I was unable to give an adequate response there and then but this web-site helped me to concretize some of these concepts in my mind. I hope these references are as helpful to you as to me:

http://www.carm.org/doctrine/trinitylook.htm
http://www.carm.org/doctrine.htm

Or if like me, you're one of those people who like to prop yourself within warm blankets with a good book, you can read "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis and focus on the chapters of "The Three-Personal God", "Good Infection" and "Two Notes". (I'd really recommend reading the whole book through because C.S Lewis really illustrated Christianity logically and rationally through with down-to-earth examples.)

For seekers, I know that this is a concept that appears to confuse matters, making our search for "How can I know and get close to the true God?" appear to be difficult.

For me, my previous search to know God was blessed by the fact that I was only focused in exploring if Christ is really God when questioning "How can I know and get close to the true God?" The questions I asked were:

- Is Jesus a real historical person, not a myth?
- Is he really who He claims to be: God, and the only way to know God? Can He just be a prophet or a teacher, similar to other teachers and prophets, who only teaches good morality but who has no real power to bring us to God?
- Is the bible reliable? Can the eyewitnesses accounts in it (Gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, first 4 chapters in the New Testament) be trusted?
- Even if He is who He say He is and accounts of Him in the bible are accurate, why should I get right with God through Him now? Are there good reasons why I should hurry?

For me personally in my walk with Him, I'd only find the above instrumental in my rational decision of whether He is God before I'm willing to place my trust in Him but of course, there may be other unique questions (including the above question on Trinity) that you may need answered before you can trust Jesus as the only way to God, that is perfectly ok. In which case, do find the answers to these questions quickly. :)

8 comments:

Dave said...

It is so important today to develop ambassadors for Christ who are not only winsome and wise, but also equipped to give an answer for the hope we have.

I find this resource here very helpful by Greg Koukl a Reformed radio show host

www.str.org

Have used his materials in some training materials in the Agora :)

Anonymous said...

Just as H2O is known as vapour, water and ice, so is God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Do you hear people say, "Blessed in the 'names' of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit"?

But this is not a 'luxurious' option of having 3 types of gods in a religion if some are mistaken in believing this. All 3 identities are this One; this One is all 3 identities. No one identity can do without the other. Why leh?

John 7:29
John 8:19, 42
John 12:44
John 13:20
John 14:6

Why leh?

Matthew 3:17
Matthew 11:27

Why leh? I've no more verses to justify. If people cannot afford to think like this, they're simply out of Christ.

Cheers.

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Hi Anon

Thanks for your comments and for all your bible verses you've provided.

Of course over time and objective study of the bible, true Christians will understand the concept of trinity as written in the word of God.

I'm sure you also agree that what's simply necessary for a new seeker to be completely in Christ is simply to:

1) Pray to Jesus. Seek Him. Ask Him to save.
2) Turn from sins.
3) Believe and trust in Jesus. Receive Jesus, who is God in flesh, who died and rose from the dead (1 Cor. 15:1-4) as Lord and Saviour. Ask Jesus to forgive of sins. Receive Christ (John 1:12).

Have I missed out anything for salvation?

This particular blog entry basically highlights the questions I asked myself before I am able to accept Christ as the true Saviour rationally and it appears to me (although I can be wrong of course) to be sufficient to be sure that Christ is really God's chosen Messiah.

Of course if there are any questions, including the question of trinity that the new seeker has before being able to trust in Christ as Saviour, as Christians, we should do our best to give an adequate response.

Anonymous said...

Saved or Deceived: http://www.angelfire.com/va/sovereigngrace/saved.deceived.1.html

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Hi Anon

Thanks for the link.

You can also e-mail me privately from the e-mail address provided in my profile.

Ignatius said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ignatius said...

True, the biblical teaching of Trinity has always puzzled Christians. I, too, have struggled with it. Many pple have have come up with all sorts of analogy to explain it. There hasn't been many books on the Trinity, though, until a few years ago.

On the Trinity, I think Robert Letham has written an excellent book called Holy Trinity: In Scripture, History, Theology, and Worship (P&R). In the bk, he explains how the Trinity is related to (1) the incarnation, (2) worship and prayer, (3) creation and missions, and (4) persons. In my opinion,this is the most helpful bk from a reformed viewpoint.Of course, others have written on this topic:

1) Colin E. Gunton's The One, the Three and the Many (Bampton Lectures)
2)James Torrance's Worship, Community & the Triune God of Grace.

However, I found these bks too technical & scholarly for me! Good for reference though!

By the way, Bruce A. Ware has also authored a book called Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance. This bk seves a good introductory to understanding the trinity.

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, Ignatius. Look like more books to be added to my 'To read' list. :)