Monday, January 16, 2006

Lessons learned from "Gospel of John"

Rented the "Gospel of John" from a nearby video rental store because our church will be covering John's gospel during this season. John's gospel holds a special place in my heart because it was in the studying of this gospel in that (oh so far off) 3-4 years ago that brought about my true conversion of my heart and mind. That truly started my journey of recognizing and acting out of Jesus Christ as God and Lord of my life.

Barring the danger that the video may contain subtle deviations in the details of history, I thought it was a pretty good movie for clearing up certain chronology of actions and events in my mind. When the movie presents Jesus appearing to His disciples that very same day He was resurrected from John 20:19; Seeing His wounds, visible marks but obviously fully healed, my heart couldn't help crying out "How can people believe that Jesus did not die on the cross but that He simply swooned and woke up later and appeared to His disciples? His old perishable body would have been a bloody mess with all those raw gaping wounds and it would have been so obvious to His disciples!" Of course this sore throbbing of my heart was soon, unfamiliarly, mixed with unsuppressable laughter when Jesus' breathing on His disciples as a symbol of receiving the Holy Spirit was absurdly depicted (Having said this, I must admit I can't think of a better way to express this on video). It is also good as it makes some of the events and bible verses come to life for me given that it is a word-for-word literal expression from the Good News Version of the bible. (Hmmm.... evangelical event centering around this video?)

It is always so amazing to see how we could apply His word in our specific circumstances. Going through a period where I feel that injustice had been done against me and what brought me through with some tattered remains of grace and peace was the continual, conscious reminder to "leave room for God's wrath" on them. I thank God that although these events, which are worrying and nerve-wracking, could have turned me into a bitter, vindicative woman (an eye for an eye!), that I may and am depending on Him, day by day, on His sovereignty over everything and care and that verse kinds of bring me through all these. Also thankfully, are my siblings-in-christ who rallied around me and gave me their time and energy sometimes to wait for me so that they can be with me, listen to me, sometimes for nothing better to do than to do the boh liao thing of speculating of alternative lifestyles and different lands. For all that precious time when they could be doing something else more interesting or for more productive things for themselves that they have dedicated to me and my worries, I am truly grateful. May this gratefulness not just end here but result in true real service and prayers for them.

But I'm digressing, the Gospel of John even speaks to me in this period. The first wrench occurs when John the Baptist proclaimed in John 1:29 "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" (I'm using the ESV bible because I'm not able to find the Good News version) My heart rebelled because I am reminded that rather than wishing for God's wrath to come to them NOW, what I'm called to do is to pray for them and pray for them to be saved. For no one can bear up to God's wrath when it comes, it will be a lake of burning sulphur that will burn ETERNALLY. Even should they be our worst enemies, do we really (truly in our deepest spirit of the Spirit that God gives us) want them to suffer forever? Frankly, I do want them to feel the threat that I feel and to go through the unease that is in my heart, I want them to experience the full measure of the anger, the bitterness, the insecurity that they've stirred in me and it is the verse "leave room for God's wrath" that gives me a measure of peace and not pursue vindication and destruction. But to pray for their salvation, that they may escape God's wrath, even for the wrath against them for what they've done against me, is a real struggle.

John 14:27 further consolidates this lesson “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you…. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” When Jesus comes again, His peace will be with us. We will not see the flames and the judgement He has reserved for all who do not believe in Him. Ultimately, I have what matters to God, and I need not be afraid of what the world can dish out to me.

In worrying and thinking about the direction in my life and how it will affect my lifelong retirement bread, John 4:34 comes to me "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work." The meaning and struggle for this is obvious isn't it? Rather than worrying about "What shall we eat or drink?", our focus should be on doing what He tells us to do and to go on in that.

John 8:48-59 shows an account of Jesus' (a Jew) showdown with other Jews. Their dialogue shows that Jesus is either a liar, a madman or truly the Son of God. By the fact that Jesus is a Jew, He cannot possibly mean himself being the Son of God the way that New Agers mean. It is an eye-opening exercise to read that portion with the full understanding of the context of what Jews believe and know.

There are actually plenty more things that I've learned that was shown in this movie. If you have around 3-4 hours to spare, this is really a good movie to see, not only for a visual representation of John's gospel, but to be better able to understand the context of the various events written in the gospel. Highly recommended.

3 comments:

pearlywhirls said...

hey thanks for that! youre the second person that has recommended it. a fellow DG actually watched it for their first session... might just propose that for ours ;)

SATheologies said...

That's a good movie. Watched it when it was screen. Modern and non-boring.

Dave said...

Gospel of John is my favorite amongst the 4 gospels... hope to read up Mark and Luke this year