Sunday, November 13, 2005

Jehovah Jireh

I was happily singing this song, basically just enjoying the somewhat bouncy rhythm until I was given a gentle reminder, "Think about an area in your life you're facing weakness in, and use this song to express your reliance on His strength."

It was only then, then and not sooner, that the words start to take on life to me. Purely looking at the words, it looks like the author is at a spiritual high and appears to be an exultation of the fulfillment of God's providence in the author's life. However, the key of the song is in a minor which adds a tinge of sadness to the overall mood. The overall interpretation is that the author affirms God's faithfulness in the life and circumstances even in the midst of trials and tribulations.

" My God shall supply all my needs
According to His riches in glory
He gave His angels charge over me..."

Isn't it true though? The times when we are at a high will be times when we disregard the presence of God in our lives. Going to church, what we'll hear during sermons are, "Christ is the Son of God.... yada yada yada....." irrespective of what was being said. It's only during times of doubt, times of fear, times of uncertainty, times of trouble, that we will then devotedly listen to His word and promises, depend on His strength and eagerly long for His return.

Any wonder then that God allows trials and pain in our lives (even while providing for us then) that we may not get too comfortable here?

The accompanying bible passage that was given to us may be good food for thought, "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (2 Cor 12:9)

No comments: