Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Church's Accountability

My pa shared this gossip with me today:

"You know, it is romoured that X church and Y church are under investigations. Their cases may be similar to the recent NKF furore that had happened."

Although I was disturbed and frustrated on hearing it first thing this early afternoon once I've woken up, my reaction was just "Ok, ok" to acknowledge what my pa said without looking at his eyes (an evasive behaviour I'm already doing my best to overcome in ordinary circumstances). Although I don't belong to these 2 churches and my experience with them had led to me not concurring with their ways and views, the possibility of truth in these allegations is a poison to showing Christ's truth and light.

How can I explain to my pa that even if the allegations should prove to be true for these churches, it is the work of sinful men who allow their personal interests and glory to take priority over truthful biblical guidance? Most explanations would mean that I risk breaking up that real unity that Christ bought for true churches in my pa's eyes.

How can I backpedal in my spirited discussion with my aunt, who attends both these churches, some time back in the presence of my unbelieving ma as we talk through issues of stewardship of money?

People, who are in positions of influence in churches, and their accountability with the resources they were gifted with are in that thankless position of:
a) Not being acknowledged when they are faithful with what is given them within their official capacity. Most of the congregation just took it that spiritual leaders are uncorruptible as granted and given.

b) Should they be using these resources for personal gains, it will potentially make headlines in news which made believers disillusioned/wary of their church's leaders and potentially biblical teaching and unbelievers either trumpet about the hypocrisy of Christians/ Christian leaders or mock at the perceived lack of show of unity should Christians make explanations.

This is a reminder for me to show some sign of gratefulness and acknowledgement to our church leaders whom I have reason to believe are faithful with resources given. This may be one way to encourage them and give them impetus for continued godliness in this area.

This is also a good reminder of the care we must exercise in selecting godly authorities over our lives - whether they are churches, boyfriends/girlfriends (for their potential in becoming our spouses) perhaps even bosses or accountability partners. The chinese have this saying, “用人不疑,疑人不用” (trust those whom we have put our lot with, not to go along with people we are suspicious of.) For me personally, I've found that my assurance that comes from my church (which I'm a member of; where I belong) doing its best to live by biblical teaching means that I will choose to trust them to be faithful with my giving. True, I have no assurance that it'll never happen or even that it's happening right now, but even if they should stumble, I will trust that they will get back on the straight and narrow path with God's help.

On the other hand, how would you explain this issue if you are in my circumstances and your unbelieving family shares this rumour?

1 comment:

quop said...

maybe you could use the passage from acts 5:1-11 to illustrate that whatever sinfulness man concocts and whatever success they may have in deceiving their fellow man (for a time), God ultimately knows what is really happening and the truth will out (like the chinese saying: 水落石出). in the end, He will judge and hold everyone accountable to their actions. while the question of whether others are being good stewards is a good and valid thing to ask, the more important and urgent question/issue for them as an individual to ensure that they are right before God, that they can be sure of a positive judgment on the final day (ie being counted among the sheep)...