Sunday, December 11, 2005

Learning points in "A layman's guide to interpreting the Bible"

This entry is dedicated to my dear sister-in-christ, my non-DG J - the person who prayed 3 years for my salvation (despite overwhelming odds) prior to my belief.

Dearest J, thank you for being His instrumental helper in bringing me the greatest gift of all in this life - Christ, my sufficient be-all and end-all. May He always be your refuge and fortress, our God in whom we trust. Also, as you have requested, right here, learning points in this book. *You lazy bum ;)*


This looks like the type of book that is good for me but which I think I will never finish. I'm putting it as a blog entry to be updated periodically in order to have a public kick in the butt should I not continue studying this book for right understanding of the bible. On going a little further with the book, it seems that reading the book for yourself will be beneficial. Not only because Walter uses alot of succint, biblical examples (not covered in this entry) that will clarify concepts, his style of writing also inspires greater desire to know His word more.

"A layman's Guide to Interpreting the Bible" by Walter A. Henrichsen

This sentence in the foreword caught my eye, "Christianity used to be a trumpet call to holy living, high thinking and solid Bible study; now it is a timid and apologetic invitation to a mild discussion."

Guiding heart cry of a dedicated Christian - Ps 119:10-11 "I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

Divided into 3 sections:
I) Interpreting the Word
II) Studying the Word
III) Improving your Bible Study Skills

I) Interpreting the Word

Basic Assumptions:
- Bible is authoritative
- Bible contains its own laws of interpretation, which when properly understood and applied, will yield the correct meaning to a given passage.
- Primary aim of interpretation is to discover the author's meaning.
- Language can contain spiritual truth.
[Updated 27 Nov 2005]

10 general principles of interpretation

1) Bible (not tradition, reason, experience etc) is the final court of appeal
- Person acts and passage goes on to say if the act is good or not
- Person acts and passage did not say whether the act is good -> See action in light of confirmed teaching/clear commands in bible
- Clear commands -> Only applied in immediate circumstances then? Or generally for all time?

2) Scripture interprets Scripture
- Do not add or subtract from scripture
- Unclear portions to be interpreted by other clear passages
- Cross-referencing -> Refer to other passages with the same context, circumstances first. After that, then less importantly by specific words or phrases
[Updated 28 Nov 2005]

3) Saving faith and the Holy Spirit are necessary for us to understand and properly interpret the Scriptures

4) Interpret personal experience in the light of Scripture and not Scripture in the light of personal experience - allow word of God to interpret and shape experiences but not the opposite.
[Updated 11 Dec 2005]

No comments: