Sunday, August 28, 2005

How Romance Changes People

I just can't stop laughing (still trying to figure out why) when my brother and his beloved came home with 2 hamsters yesterday and found out that their names are 'Lenoil' and 'Leira' (Oh dear! It suddenly just struck me that I hope he remembers how quickly these creatures proliferate!) My kid brother, taking care of dependant, young things!

A previously somewhat ascetic, simple and no-frills man, I remembered it took me sometime to reconcile the new discovery of a pink dolphin on his bed with the fact that it belong to him. That definitely did not go with his room decor!

It's amazing how romance can change a person. Within a very short span my brother had grown gentler in speech, more proactive in care and more tolerant in nature.

This made me witness the power of love to change a person, and its implications on what love of Christ should bring; it should naturally lead to a transformed life and a changed attitude as I seek to please Him, to work for the pleasure of seeing His approval at my change, His acceptance of my effort and His delight at my offering to Him.

The very first commandment God calls us to obey is 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your soul, and all your strength and all your mind', so shouldn't our love for Him far exceed any loving relationship (husband-wife, kinship, romantic, friendship etc) we have on this earth?

For example, in a dating couple I'm close to, I have seen how she, changed from being previously inept in the kitchen to becoming a cook of (erm hmm) mediocre skills because she takes pleasure from making food for him, who prides himself on being a good cook. Or how he was able to develop charisma and stage presence from developing an interest in what she's passionate about and how he made a switch in his career plans after he had seriously considered her sharing of direction in life and decided it is good for him.

If such noticeable changes are observed in a couple who is only dating, what more if we truly love Him? Some examples could be the willingness to seriously consider insights shared in His word in our decision making, allowing what He says to influence our direction, taking effort to develop skills in previously uninterested areas (e.g giving to the poor, the widows and the orphans). Do such changes taken to please their beloved require effort? You bet, but that great driving force should be derieved from great affection for our Beloved.

So if our increased knowledge of Him and what pleases Him does not lead to changes in our lives, could it be from lack of love for Him? Or are we, in our heart of hearts, actually pharisees who aim to gain the adoration of man with our puffed-up knowledge?

The true answers to these questions could mean the difference between '...the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.'(John 16:27) or 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!' (Luke 13:27)

No comments: