Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Time and Predestination vs Free-Will

I was in a group of girls sharing the lessons which we've learned in Malachi. On listening to S' sharing, I acted on my impulse to ask her if she is a Calvinist.

I immediately knew that it was an unhelpful question when another group member asked what a Calvinist is. Seeing that I was not articulate verbally, S took on the responsibility of treading carefully in giving a summary of Calvinism vs Arminianism while emphasizing that the truth of salvation lies solely in trust in Christ rather than the position we take on this debate.

It was when S was expressing the idea that although it often looks like we are making the choice to believe in Him, from God's perspective, it's really His sovereign choice which chooses us first which enabled us; that a thought struck me.

From God's perspective, this emphasizes how differently God sees things from us. No matter how capable, effective and efficient we are, we are still bound by the dimensions of this world: limits including time and space.

CS Lewis makes the point more clearly than I ever could in his book "Mere Christianity", Chapter "Time and Beyond Time":

"God is not in Time. His life does not consist of moments following one another. ... Every moment from the beginning of the world is always Present for Him. ......

Suppose I am writing a novel. I write Mary laid down her work; next moment came a knock at the door!" For Mary who has to live in the imaginary time of my story there is not interval between putting down the work and hearing the knock. But I, who am Mary's maker, do not live in that imaginary time at all. Between writing the first half of that sentence and the second, I might sit down for three hours and think steadily about Mary. I could think about Mary as if she were the only character in the book and for as long as I pleased, and the hours I spent in doing so would not appear in Mary's time (the time inside the story) at all.

... God is not hurried along in the Time-stream of this universe any more than an author is hurried along in the imaginary time of his own novel. He has infinite attention to spare for each one of us. He does not have to deal with us in the mass. You are as much alone with Him as if you were the only being He had ever created. When Christ died, He died for you individually just as much as if you had been the only man in the world."

Are you beginning to see as I had glimpsed that beginning of an idea of how the concept of predestination can be counciled with the concept of free-will? Every moment that comes to us one after another that becomes our Past, Present and Future is NOW to Him. If we try to put on His shoes (which are much too big for me), it is because He chooses us NOW, therefore in the book of our lives, we were able to surrender ourselves totally to Him from that Moment we chose to believe.

Free-will and the choice it allows can only be meaningfully made in each moment, within the dimension of time. Outside of time and space, when we are in the absolute NOW (as we one day will when He comes again), there just cannot be a choice - it's either eternal goodness or unending suffering.*

Both concepts, of predestination and free-will, can be correct. It just depends on which angle we look at, the perspective of chronos, within time, or of kairos, outside of time in God's reality.

The question is where are we choosing to live in the absolute NOW with every decision made in each moment as we live now in chronos? In eternal goodness expressing characteristics of our citizenship of heaven or in unending suffering?

*: Haven't you experience the timelessness of moments when we have intense experiences and how it seems to colour the rest of your life?

Intense pain: Betrayal by your best friend (How could she? I trust her so much...); the awful realization that the person on the pedestal you've trusted totally is actually nearer the spawn of the devil (How could I be so blind? I even have had $1,000s/$1,000,000s loaned to him/her/I nearly want to marry him/her); the constant repression/nagging/abuse from your beloved where your life becomes repetitive suffering and you look back with horror when 'yes' was given to marriage (That was the biggest mistake of my entire life....)

Intense bliss: Seeing a child rocking on a baby rocking chair, with sunlight pouring in and drinking milk from a bottle (so safe, so secure); the moment you realize the love of your life reciprocates your feelings (so beloved); the moment you realize God's love when he took on your punishment so that we may always be in the stronghold of Someone absolutely loving, just and merciful (so precious).

4 comments:

Donovan said...

Glad you had a fruitful converstaion at DG, who knew such deep philosophical/ theological thoughts would emerge from our little "prayer and praise" session =)

Of course I'm sure you know that Calvinism vs. Arminianism doesn't just rest of the predestination fulcrum, some of the other points are potentially even more debtatable.

Anyhow, I agree with S, we should indeed focus on what indeeed is clear - salvation is through Christ and Christ alone, and not get too caught up in the semantics (I mean, come on, Charles Wesley and John Calvin couldn't even come to a consensus). Unless of course the issues are affecting your spiritual walk...

BTW, interesting analogy, was it inspired by "Sophie's World" by any chance?

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Thanks for dropping by you guys.

Marxx, I actually just 'saw' a brainflash that predestination and free-will are both correct during the discussion, this post was an attempt to 'walk' through the steps that came to this conclusion so it's kind of exploratory rather than conclusion-forming; I'm in agreement with you that Calvinists should never use predestination as an excuse to be lazy.

Come to think about it, the Christian walk is always the walking of both extremes: We are told to love the sinner and hate the sin; to have faith like a child and yet be shrewd as serpents; to be meek so that we will inherit the earth yet be zealous for our Father's work. So why can't our walk also be about passively accepting as a gift that God chooses us first yet we must also act to choose to believe and live holy lives?

Donovan, you made a good point that Calvinism vs Arminianism is not just about predestination - I was longing to crawl into bed when starting blog entry. Looks like I'd need to change the title of my entry. :)

I was not thinking of 'Sophie's World' when writing entry but it might have been an unknown influence since I had read it about 5-6 years ago. Good observation on their similar themes.

saint said...

I really love the way you explained the timelessness of God - it is a concept that we will never be able to fully understand, but as I am an author (blogging a novel if you care to have a look sometime) the image of God being the author and us being characters in his book really connects to me personally. Thank you for that!

Please stop by my blog(s) sometime - if you like reading you may enjoy my novel as well - you can get there through my profile (Every Day is Saint Day is my regular blog / Sentinel:Home is my novel).

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Hi Saint

Thanks for stopping by!

I got that concept from CS Lewis and it helped me to better understand God's involvement in my life too. Glad that it had edified you.