Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Security Guard

I've only been able to reflect about the previous security guard in my condominium in the past weekend - something I was trying to ignore for the past few months by forcing it to the back of my mind.

I remember the numerous times he had given concessions to my friends in parking/waiting time/ parking just to eat at the nearby eating places (as opposed to visiting someone in condo), the times we drank cold milo on a hot day while chatting about recent happenings, I remember the pride in his voice as he talked about the many grandchildren he had.

I also remember the day on my way to church for service one day, he stopped me with a friendly, "So you're going to church? It's good to be religious."

I dashed off a "Yah, but isn't a relationship with God more important?" and, without waiting for a reply, walked briskly towards the bus stop.

Why didn't I take that opportunity to witness to him, a muslim, and share with him the goodness of Christ? Even if I should miss the last 11:15a.m service, wouldn't it have pleased God more, if I had used that opportunity to potentially bring 1 more soul into His kingdom?

A few months later, I noticed he was no longer around when bringing biscuits to the guard house. It was later known that he was in a coma from stroke and died a few days later.

This made me realize the importance of making every opportunity we're given to evangelise, not to go after people with hammer and tongs, but rather, in making use of every opportunity presented to us, to share what we know about our Lord's goodness. Many times, we cut off meaningful communication in favour of checking against our to-do list; to run in the rat race of adding another feather in our cap, of adding to our accomplishments. Sometimes, the chance for that life-changing conversation is given only once before being lost forever.

Throughout all this time, although he had always addressed me by name, I could not remember his-not even now. Why? The shameful truth is that I never bothered to, too caught up in my supercilious snobbishness which is based on nothing more than man-made social boundaries and privileged circumstances that gave me what I have now.

I pray that I may truly repent and then to be given discernment to see people the way God sees us - unlovable yet loved, detestable yet cared for, undeserved yet given good things - beyond man-made boundaries, social or otherwise that I may do what's right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thank God that He has put this in your heart, and i thank you for your honest sharing. may it always be our burden daily to share His Gospel, in our action. continue on sista!

Anonymous said...

It is important for us to make use of every opportunity that is presented in front of us to witness others about Christ. I'm encouraged by your desire to evangelize and spread the good news. It's sad what happened to your security guard, but don't give up hope. Sometimes it's the little things in life which make a difference. Perhaps by the grace of God, he may have committed his life to God...? Whatever it is, remember what we're studying in Philippians. Be thankful and rejoice in the Lord always, just like Paul =)

Ms Carpe Diem said...

SingaporeMuffin: Yeah, let's encourage each other to continue on.

Joyous: Thanks for the comfort. And yup, you are right about the necessity of rejoicing in the Lord always. :)

pearlywhirls said...

thanks for sharing so honestly, carpe. chided abt my own lack of concern & effort in sharing to the people i meet, interact daily. lets keep reminding each other to keep the main thing, the main thing.

dont feel too badly yah? press on!

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Pearl: Yeah, agree we shouldn't let the past hinder our future - especially our work for God. Do let's encourage each other in this.

Yesterday morning though, I just feel that I've dropped every single unsaved soul that has ever been entrusted in my egg basket, it brought a tinge of incompetence that I feel I've been trying to suppress for a long long time.

It's good then, that it was remembered it's all God's work, not my competence or eloquence. My sole responsibility is to:
i) Make full use of every opportunity presented (and I'm really given alot of these opportunities)
ii) Pray in the midst of the spiritual battle.