Saturday, October 22, 2005

Well-wishes for non-Christians?

I'm going to attend the first non-Christian wedding in an hour after a full year of immersion in local church life. As I sit down to pen my well-wishes to my friend, I was struck by writer's block as I pondered:

How can a life be well when you're not in relationship with your maker, no matter how smooth the life may appear?

Debating between a more 'passionate' evangelical message or an indifferent neutral message, I settled on a subtle message: "May your marriage lead to an eternity of joy and bliss" for how can a life without Christ lead to an eternity of joy and bliss?

Suggestions?

4 comments:

The Rust said...

that was smart.

I also feel the same way at non-christian weddings, birthday parties... even Christmas parties.

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Rust, guess it's natural knowing that we're aliens in this world huh?

Francis: Sorry that you can't attend the wedding and hope you'll be back soon. Think it's more sincere if you send her your regards personally leh. Want her contact no.?

quop said...

just curious... do you mean "non-Christian wedding" as in two non-Christians getting married to each other, or one Christian marrying a non-Christian? would it make any difference to what you would say / how you would say it?

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Quop: The one I went to were 2 Christians getting married to each other. I'd thought that for both cases, the wishes would be the same, subjected to how secure in Christ the one Christian feels.